The University of Iowa, Iowa City, Iowa
MLIS, Library & Information Science, December 2008
- Recipient, IMLS Fellowship in Digital Librarianship
- Poster Presentation, “Help Me Help You(Tube): Maximizing Collaborations to Meet New Collection Challenges”
Luther College, Decorah, Iowa
BA, Music, May 1998
DIGITAL RESEARCH & SCHOLARLY PUBLISHING, UNIVERSITY OF IOWA LIBRARIES, Iowa City, IA
Data Services Librarian, January 2012 – present
- • Supports effective and responsible data stewardship across campus through campus-wide needs assessment initiatives and development of data management services.
- • Participates in the development of user interfaces, mobile applications, and digital library infrastructure.
- • Transforms descriptive metadata for online use and reuse.
- • Consults with faculty and students on data management issues.
CATALOGING & METADATA SERVICES, UNIVERSITY OF ALABAMA LIBRARIES, Tuscaloosa, AL
Metadata Librarian, July 2009 – January 2012
- • Collaborated with stakeholders across the Libraries to support long-term digital access to UA’s cultural heritage materials and graduate research.
- • Led development of data dictionaries and documented best practice guidelines for local MODS descriptive metadata profile.
- • Designed and implemented efficient workflows for creating, validating, remediating, and migrating metadata for digital text, still image, and audio objects.
- • Developed local specifications for metadata display, publishing through OAI-PMH, and indexing.
- • Liaised with the Graduate School to coordinate electronic theses and dissertation processing and to manage embargoed content.
- • Crosswalked metadata between schemas using XML/XSLT technologies.
- • Researched and recommended strategies for capturing and storing technical, preservation, and rights metadata.
- • Consulted with the Office of Library Technology on the development of metadata creation/editing software, digital repository interface design, and discovery interface interoperability.
- • Offered guidance on faculty digital humanities projects through consultations and workshops.
- • Served on the Libraries E-Science Team, an initiative to assess campus research data needs and plan development of data management services.
DIGITAL LIBRARY SERVICES, THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA LIBRARIES, Iowa City, IA
Digital Projects Librarian (half-time, temporary), January 2009 – June 2009
- • Collaborated on the implementation and seeding of the University’s institutional repository, Iowa Research Online.
- • Worked with faculty editors to migrate print and online journals to the bepress EdiKit online journal management platform.
- • Migrated metadata and images for the Libraries’ largest legacy digital collection, Traveling Culture, to the Libraries’ digital repository, Iowa Digital Library.
- • Assisted a faculty member in the development of a digital collection of video research data, Presidential Campaign Videos Collection. Harvested, crosswalked, and normalized metadata for ~2000 YouTube videos.
- • Developed the digital exhibit, African American Women Students at the University of Iowa. Curated, digitized, and created metadata for over 100 heterogeneous primary and secondary sources.
- • Crosswalked and transformed metadata for a variety of digital collections.
- • Digitized and edited image, print, and audio resources for inclusion in Iowa Digital Library and Iowa Research Online.
IOWA WOMEN’S ARCHIVES, THE UNIVERSITY OF IOWA, Iowa City, IA
Processor (volunteer, part-time), April 2009 – June 2009
- • Processed collection additions and updated finding aids.
“Chronicling African American Women at the University of Iowa.” Microform and Imaging Review 38.4 (2009): 157-162.
“Repurposing ProQuest Metadata for Batch Ingesting into an Institutional Repository.” (with Joanna Lee) Code4Lib 7 (2009): n. pag. Web. 26 Jun. 2009.
“DIYHistory: Scaling Up with the Crowd at the University of Iowa Libraries.” CONTENTdm Virtual User Group Meeting, November 2012.
“Building a Habitat for the Digital Humanities: Adding Digital Project Support to Library Services.” (with Tom Wilson and Jason Battles) LITA National Forum, St. Louis, MO, October 2011.
“Three Wheels on My Wagon But I’m Still Rolling Along: Lessons Learned from the Recent Campus Deployment of ETDs at The University of Alabama.” (with John Chambers) ETD 2010, Austin, TX, June 2010.